Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Another one bites the dust

I've finished another Christmas gift! This brings me to 6 of 7 completed, with almost a month to go. If you're thinking you don't recall seeing six finished gifts, that's because you haven't. At least two of them haven't made an appearance on the blog and won't make one until after Christmas. This scarf will be going to my little cousin Andie, and I really hope she likes it. She's very girly, and I'm not sure it's pink enough for her, but we'll see.
Project Stats: Drop-stitch Scarf
Yarn: One skein of Knit Picks Memories, colorway Rocky Mountain Dusk.. The scarf is ~6x60" unblocked.
Needles: Size 8 Clover Bamboo straights
Time on the needles: October 5-November 27, 2007. This was my work project or it would've been finished much more quickly.
Impressions: I like it. The pattern is simple and easy to memorize, and the yarn, although not really my colors, was nice to work with. It seems heavier than sockweight, but that could be because I used much bigger needles than one would normally use with this yarn and thus it was able to really puff out and bloom. Drop-stitch patterns are always fun because it's exciting to drop stitches on purpose! I think this needs a good blocking to stretch out the drop-stitch panels, but that can wait until closer to gifting time...

Now that I've finished this, I only have two "active" projects on the needles - the Drops swing cardigan w/ huge sleeves and the socks for my grandmother (more on those soon). This is a problem. I like to have a lot of things going because I tend to flit from project to project. And, let's face it, two stockinette sleeves at once? That is some boring knitting. So, to break up the monotony I've decided I need to cast on something new and exciting. I'm still waiting for my new colors of Palette before I start the Ivy League Vest, so that's out. Plus I'm thinking that will be good Christmas knitting. I'm planning a gift that I can't talk about here, but it's not really a rush and it's not for me, so I'm going to put it off a bit (also a good project for Christmas - better actually, because it'll be much simpler). So, that leaves me in a quandary. What am I going to do? I'll think I'll make this: It's pretty simple, it's a hat, which is useful since it's getting on towards winter, and it's teal, and you know how I love the teal. Anne-Marie also bought this kit, so we're thinking of doing our own little knitalong. I also need a simple work project, which I haven't thought through yet. I'll keep you posted.
Oh, speaking of winter, tomorrow is opening day at Mt. Baker! I'm really excited to go skiing, although it'll have to wait a bit as we're going to Portland for some bike races this weekend...

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

I have to get ready for our knitalong...