Thursday, March 20, 2008
Quick shawl update
I have finished the nupps! I'm on the final chart! The end is in sight! Please let me not screw it up now! In all seriousness, the nupps weren't that bad, although those rows were quite slow-going. By the end it was taking me about 30 minutes per row, which, although there are a lot of stitches (don't ask me how many), is still a long time for one row. I don't know how many stitches I have because I enlarged the shawl by five repeats of the Budding Lace, and I could do the math, but I haven't. All I know is - more stitches than the pattern. I've been following the modifications made by Pepperknit (here), although I just did the purl5tog instead of the decrease she used - I didn't find it that difficult (but, again with the slowness). I did start out doing a slip 2, p3tog, psso decrease, but thought it looked sloppy because one of the slipped stitches was a yarnover, so I moved to the p5tog because it was tidier, but after a few rows I noticed that the first couple of funny-looking nupps had sorted themselves out and really did look just like the p5togs. I guess I didn't have the faith, but I stuck with the p5togs anyway. I just finished the first two rows of the last chart, doing four increases as recommended so that the final chart numbers will line up. This is a leap of faith because I don't know how many stitches I have and I'm not counting! Tonight I'll move my lifeline and proceed with the final bit. I've really loved knitting this, and I'm sorry there aren't any photos, but it's too jammed on the needles to spread out, and hopefully I'll be done with it this weekend and I can stretch it out for you!