Sunday, December 10, 2006

S#%t

Exhibit A:


This evening I was merrily plugging along on my grandmother's socks when, bam, there was some nausea and then an acute attack of yarn vomit on my lap. See the ball on the left above the sock? That came from inside the wound ball on the right. And it got worse. I tried to rewind it, from the outside of the original ball, and I was making good progress until the ball popped off the winder (bottom center), while making a mess on the winder (center right). It took me almost 45 minutes and several snips with the scissors to sort this mess out...I'm going to knit the rest of the sock from the outside of the new ball. This, my friends, is why I don't like center pull balls. Vomit is always a risk, and vomit is NEVER pleasant!

We had a lovely time at Rachel's on Friday night, and saw many well-decorated vessels. I didn't get any knitting done because a) it was dark, and b) I was unsure about the needle size on the woven scarf. Jennifer wisely suggested going up a few sizes, and on her recommendation I reswatched on size 13s (not big enough) and finally settled on size 15s. From 10.5s. That's huge. But the progress? SO much faster, and for a Christmas project, speed is of the essence! Oh, and the fabric is nicer too, and you can actually see the stitch pattern. Photos soon. It was nice to be somewhere in the Christmas spirit, as Rachel and Paul (I'm guessing mostly Rachel) had put up loads of lights and a lovely tree. Chez Emily and Dave we're more in the how-much-random-stuff-can-we-leave-in-the-living-room-to-step-over/on/around spirit these days. We haven't put up any decorations, and we probably won't bother. When we moved in together we threw out my ugly fake tree, after determining that we didn't really have a place to store it and that the cat couldn't be trusted with it anyway. Last year he removed most of the lights and several of the branches, and forced us to hang all the ornaments on the top 2 feet of the tree, which looked, as you might imagine, utterly ridiculous. Although he is older now, he's still insane, so it's best not to take any chances. So, it was nice to be somewhere festive - thanks again Rachel!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time!

Daisy said...

Aside from the vomit, the socks are lovely!

Jack said...

Hey, that looks like what I did with Daisy's yarn the other day! I hope Oliver got the chance to play a little when you weren't looking!

Anonymous said...

Oooops.

Eero said...

"Yarn Vomit."Ooohhh, that is brilliant! I didn't know the phenomenon had a name!!
We haven't put up any Christmas decorations, either....just too distracted by other things, I think.