Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Funky Scarf Swap - May your wildest dreams come true!

I've signed up for the Funky Scarf Swap, hosted by Scout and Bev, which sounds like it's going to be great fun. The idea is you make either a funky patterned scarf or a scarf with funky yarn (although I suppose you could do both at once it might get a bit too funky!). Here are my answers to the great FSS questionnaire!

Let’s get the allergy part out of the way. Are you allergic to any fibers? Nope, anything is fine, but please nothing scratchy!
Do you prefer any fibers over others? I prefer natural fibers, but I can get over that since there are so many funky not-quite-found-in-nature novelty fibers out there these days, and this is a funky scarf swap, not a cashmere scarf swap!
Thinking back to Scout’s post about what funky means to you, post an image of something that you think is funky! I've looked around, and most of what I see that I'd consider funky is a lot of the bulky handspun yarns with extra things spun in, like lengths of beads or buttons and things. Mixed media yarns, if you will.
Would you prefer funky yarn or a funky pattern? I could go with either, but I think I'd prefer funky yarn. However, I'll leave this up to my pal's discretion.
What are your favorite colors? Teal, turquoise, dark purple (not lavender), dark green, pretty much all the jewel tones actually.
What is your favorite piece of art? I love Dali. Pretty much all of his paintings appeal to me, mostly for their almost normal yet slightly off weirdness.
What colors would you never have up close to your pretty face? Yellow, orange (maybe dark/deep orange would be okay), and most pastels and neons.
Would you prefer an actual scarf or a cowl? Scarf. I'm really not a cowl person.
When you wear a scarf do you prefer a wider/shorter scarf or a thin/long scarf? I'd prefer long since I like to wrap my scarves around my neck a couple of times. Either wide or thin, but not too thin since I'd probably be going for some degree of functionality.
What is the climate like where you live? I live in Seattle. It's never really that cold, in the upper 30s/lower 40s in the winter. But I like to wear scarves with vests instead of a jacket, so something warm would be great. And something that can tolerate getting a little wet, since it does indeed rain a bit here in the lovely Pacific Northwest!
Would you prefer a functional scarf (to keep you warm) or one just to funk-up your wardrobe? Either would be great!
What else would you like your partner to know about you? I'm pretty casual in general, but I like wild jewelry and accessories, so this is the perfect swap for me. If it's cool and I like it, I'll wear something pretty funky!

It's been awhile since I posted, and sadly I have no knitting photos to share. We went down to Olympia for the weekend and although I did some knitting I spent most of the time picking blueberries and going tubing down the Deschutes River (yes, it was cold. Poor Dave, who has no body fat whatsoever was shivering the whole last hour of the trip. It was also fun, until the shivering). My mother is arriving in town this evening with a knitting friend (!), so we've been cleaning like crazy. They're staying for a week, which should be great.
In knitting news, I'm on the last repeat of the lace at the bottom of the Lotus Blossom tank, and it's looking lovely. I'll get a photo of it and post it soon, I've just been lazy about it...

No comments: