Monday, September 11, 2006

Another busy weekend

This weekend was full of fun activities of the outdoors and fibery persuasions. Dave and I went hiking to Melakwa Lake:

Isn't it beautiful? This was a new hike for us, and it was a good one. Apparently there is even better scenery just a bit further on, but we didn't know that until we got back to our high-speed internet, and anyway this was far enough!Hike Stats: Denny Creek to Melakwa Lake

Distance: 9 miles, roundtrip, plus 0.5 mile because the trailhead parking was full

Elevation gain: 2600 ft in, 350 ft out (I swear it felt like more than that!). High point, 4909 ft.

Time: 1:48 in, 1:40 out (very rocky and precarious descent + fast uphill motion = similar up/down times)

Difficulty: Well, it was long, so in theory the elevation gain was spread out and shouldn't have been bad, but in reality the first 1.5 miles were pretty flat, and the last 0.5 was downhill, so the middle bit was pretty steep, and very rocky, with lots of rockfalls to clamber about in. It was also hot. And sunny. More so than we had expected from the forecast...

Worth it: Most definitely!


The Fiberphiles came over and we dyed some yarn. Daisy's going to do the full report on that, so I won't steal her thunder, but here is one of the skeins I dyed, which I'm calling "Vampires in Love," after a song I like by the now sadly defunct band Marvelous 3.

I'm loving this yarn. Actually, it's a bit ugly in the skein, but I think it's going to look really cool knit up. This is the new KnitPicks Bare superwash fingering weight, which is a great bargain if it ends up holding the dye well and knits up nicely. I dyed the yarn for my Funky Scarf Swap scarf and it's currently drying in my shower. It's so pretty, I can't wait to knit it up and send it off! Of course there will be photos, no worries!

I'm going to be out of town until Wednesday at our annual Microbiology department retreat in Leavenworth, WA. The retreat is always a fun time, where we get to meet the incoming first years, and catch up on all the department research, as well as just generally have a good time. I've been looking forward to it, and I'm sure there will be photos when I return!

Oh, the Clapotis? She is finished. Proof you say? I'm looking for a good photo spot, and deciding whether or not she should be blocked. And, the new Knitty is up, which was very exciting for me, since I wasn't expecting it until October for some reason! There are a bunch of nice patterns in this issue, but I especially like Lizard Ridge, Cable net, and Cactus Flower. I have several sweaters cut like the last one, and I really like that shape on me, so that is definitely going into the project queue...

No comments: