Pattern: Asymmetrical v-neck tank, from Loop-d-Loop
Yarn: Rowan Polar (sadly discontinued), just over 3 skeins. Yarn obtained from my favorite Ebay
Needles: Clover size 11 24" circular, and a giant crochet hook for the edging.
Time to knit: Early February-March 30, 2007. There was a pause while I figured out how to do the crochet edging around the armpits and bottom, but the actual knitting was really quick.
Impressions: Well. The pattern was straight-forward, aside from figuring out which decrease I was supposed to be using at any given point. I also didn't agree with the increase method (knit front and back) suggested in the pattern and instead did all my increases as raised-bar types (probably not the correct technical term) because I thought they fit in more seamlessly. The huge cable was fun, and the giant yarn made the project go really quickly. I enjoyed knitting with the Rowan Polar, and I'm glad I have 20 more skeins (10 each in ivory and dark red) in the stash. I apologize that you can't see the cable detailing well in the photos - the light blue yarn has been exceedingly difficult to photograph throughout this project, which is why you haven't seen any progress photos. I made the woman's small size with 4 extra stitches to get the correct bust size, and I think that worked out rather well. I think the vest actually fits quite well, and like it's supposed to, except that I am not a stick like the model. Well, that and I didn't wash my swatch (yeah, yeah, yeah), although even if I had known the thing was going to grow like this I probably wouldn't have done much about it, since the pattern can't really be made shorter easily, without chopping off a huge piece of the cable. There is a shorter version on the Loop-d-Loop webpage, but it's not in the book, and although I could surely have figured it out (I am in graduate school after all), I didn't worry about it. I'm pretty happy with my crochet edging, and glad to have gotten that skill under my belt. Thank yous to Anne-Marie and Jennifer for helping me with that.
This was my second blue finished object for February/March Project Spectrum, AND, this weekend I
finally finished something else that is turquoise and thus a good blend of the blue (Feb./Mar.) and green (April/May) PS colors, but that finished object can wait a few days for its debut.