Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Dyeing on Easter Sunday

I hosted a dyeing party this past Easter Sunday (although in retrospect we really should've done it on Good Friday, but there was that whole 'work' problem). The party was a great success - there were 4 dyers and 9 skeins of yarn dyed with lovely Jacquard acid dyes. Sadly I'm not overly happy with my skeins, although they may knit up into something better than expected. Without further ado, here we go:

These three are my skeins. On the left is some KnitPicks Wool of the Andes dyed with pumpkin orange, chestnut brown, and forest green, although I have to question the dilution of that forest green since it's looking pretty light. The right two skeins are both sockweight superwash merino (I think). The middle one is salmon and teal; the dark spot in the back is a purple/indigo concoction Daisy made. Yes, the colors really are that bright, in fact the yarn is blinding, but I think it will make cool socks. The right skein was made by randomly squirting all the green colors we had made on the yarn, so it's very splotchy and I'm quite intrigued by it. Daisy made a similar skein but hers is much darker and I like it better than mine. I will have to try again...

I also have a photo of the one skein that Kristen made:


This is also Wool of the Andes, dyed with a lighter version of the purple/indigo concoction, forest green (I think) and turquoise. It turned out quite lovely!

Sadly I didn't get any photos of Daisy and Rachel's finished yarn, but perhaps they will be kind enough to take some and send them to me? Rachel dyed over 1000 yards of mohair, which took up my entire bathroom sink during the soaking:


All in all we had a great time. The dyes worked really well, and we experimented a bit with different concentrations of colors and determined that less dilute gives better results (for the most part). This dyeing thing is definitely addicting, although one can only think of so many uses for crazy-colored splotchy yarn! A couple of the Fiberphiles couldn't make it, so expect another dyeing party soon!

And then, I ask, is this is Clapotis I see before me?


This pattern is great. The yarn is lovely and soft. I'm addicted. In fact, I ordered some more yarn to make another (yes, I realize I've just started this one, but there was that whole Lenten no-buying-yarn thing that I'm recovering from). I love this yarn I'm using, but it's 100% merino, and although it's very soft it's also going to be fairly warm, and I'd like to be able to wear this in the summer, and as well as being wool, black and grey are not so much summer colors. So I ordered some Schaefer Marjaana (colorway Mary Breckinridge) from Little Knits, one skein for a whole Clapotis. I'm excited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look up clapotis and realize that I "had a thing" with the scarfed you and dad mocked me in.
At least I was warm and more fashionable than you even imagined. And before you say it was different, which it is, it was similar enough to count.

Lovely dyed yarns.

love, mom