Friday, March 09, 2007

Secret Pal 10 Questionnaire!!!

I'm very excited to be participating in Secret Pal 10! This is my second go at this, having also done SP8, where I met some very nice people. I'm posting my questionnaire a bit late because I wasn't really sure if I was signed up or not, but I figure it's fine since the matches aren't going out until next week anyway! Without further ado:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'll knit with almost anything natural. I like wool (who doesn't?!?), and alpaca is lovely to knit with as well. For summery things bamboo, cotton, silk, etc. Blends are nice. I'm not big on novelty yarns or the fake stuff...

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
A drawer in my side table! I have a lovely DPN case made for me by a previous swap pal, but otherwise I keep my needles in their original packaging in my drawer, and this is just fine with me - many of the size labels have worn off, so keeping them in their packaging is quite useful...

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for about 3.5 years, and was inspired by my cousin but taught by my mother and many good friends. I would consider myself intermediate.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, Amazon. I'm the one in Seattle; I think I have many counterparts across the country, so be careful!

5. What's your favorite scent?
Vanilla, or citrus. Fresh scents in general. I don't like lavender (I know, I'm weird) or anything strong/musky/incensey (is that a word?).

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes - I've been putting my dentists' children through college for many years! Milk chocolate (unadulterated), or anything sweet/sour like Lemonheads and Sour Patch Kids.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I used to do a bit of needlepoint, but not so much lately. I make my own paper and I sometimes mean to scrapbook. I have two spindles and a slew of roving but the spinning bug never quite caught me as I'm way too impatient for something with that kind of learning curve.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I listen to mostly British rock music, or I guess what could be considered alternative rock. I can tolerate anything but jazz and hard-core country and have been known to listen to rap more than occasionally...

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love teal, turquoise, purple, blue, green, and red (but not with the others). I'm not that big on neons or pastels, but I love a good jewel tone.

10. What isa your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my boyfriend and a fiesty orange tabby named Oliver, who makes frequent appearances on the blog.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Anything but ponchos. Me and ponchos don't get along. When they were in fashion a few years back I made a valiant effort at pulling one off, but I honestly couldn't figure out where my purse was supposed to go and I like to have the full use of my arms...Of the above scarves are my favorite, then hats, then fingerless gloves, which are quite useful in Seattle and in my lab, which alternates rapidly between boiling and Antarctic.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love knitting hats, and scarves, and pretty much anything in the round. Socks are fun too. I have a lot of sock yarn, so I should really get on knitting some more socks...

13. What are you knitting right now?
What am I NOT knitting right now? Actually, it's not so bad at the moment. I'm knitting a pair of socks, fair-isle mitts (my first fair-isle!), a Koigu scarf, and a lace stole that I really just started so I'm not sure it counts. I just finished a bulky tank/vest that is in need of its crochet edging, and I have a sweater that is in need of seaming and finishing, but I prefer not to talk about that...

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Depends. I'm not crafty in my decor, but if it's something fun and useful, or an accessory, maybe.


15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I much prefer straight needles and only use circulars when absolutely necessary. I do my best to avoid knitting straight items on circular needles. I love DPNs. I prefer bamboo but I have some metal needles I like for socks and for hats, since the slick metal really seems to be faster. That said, I'm rarely in a hurry with my knitting (Nov/Dec not withstanding), so I prefer bamboo on the whole.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a ball winder (two, if we count the boyfriend), and I use my knees (or his) as my swift :)

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
About 1.5 years, the sweater that shall not be named.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween, although Christmas isn't bad!

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Aside from yarn? Not really. Shoes maybe, and handbags...

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None spring to mind at the moment, aside from the Barbara Walker Treasury's, which would be great to have. I subscribe to Interweave Knits. As for yarns, I covet Manos, and other handpainted yarns of any nature. I love washable sock yarn, and I'm just trying to get into knitting lace so solidish sockweight yarn that could be used for lace would be lovely.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I would like to learn proper fair-isle, as opposed to the crazy thing I'm making up at the moment...And I totally need to teach myself some good finishing techniques so I can finish the sweater I keep mentioning (that I'm not talking about).

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes. I wear a 6.5 (small feet = quick socks!).

23. When is your birthday?
5.11.79. But, I still get carded at movies (seriously).

I hope this is helpful! There is plenty of other random info about me on the blog, and I'll try to get back to posting more frequently. I've been so busy - until last night I hadn't knit a stitch in 6 days!

No comments: