Voila, they are finished!
Project Stats: Endpaper Mitts
Yarn: Rowanspun 4 ply (Jade, from my favorite Ebay seller, Cucumberpatch UK) and Rowan Yorkshire Tweed 4 ply (Discontinued, from Weaving Works). I have about 1/3 left of each 25g skein.
Needles: Brittney birch DPNs, size 2
Gauge: 9 st/in. My mitts came out really small - the gauge for my size was supposed to be 8 st/in
Time on the Needles: Mid-March - May 20, 2007
Impressions: I LOVE these! This is my first Fair-isle project, and it won't be the last. Watching the pattern appear is so addicting, and although I'm sure I wasn't using "proper" technique, I got pretty fast in my own way and these came off the needles pretty quickly when I actually worked on them. I know they took about two months, but there was a lot of downtime in there. I knit over half of the second mitt this weekend. Eunny's pattern was well-written and I followed it exactly except that I did a regular cast-on and bind-off because I was too lazy to figure out how to do the tubular method she recommended. I also used the same size needles throughout instead of switching after the ribbing. I think this was a wise move because my gauge was tighter than the pattern guidelines and I think doing the ribbing on needles two sizes smaller might have made these difficult to get on and off. In fact, my only gripe, and this is completely my fault (No, I didn't check my gauge. I have really tiny hands, I figured it would be okay), is that these are really small. I can get them on, and once they're on it's okay, but getting them on and off is a bit of a struggle. That said, the first one is looser, and I think that's because it's been tried on more times, so I think the other will stretch a bit as well, and if all else fails I can always block them. About the book - it was one of my birthday presents from Dave, and I love it. You can't go wrong with a good disaster...Anyway, I am thrilled with these, and can't wait to start my next Fair-isle project! Big success!!!