Sunday, May 06, 2007

A new dyer is born!

This post is a bit belated, and there's really no excuse, because I had the photos, and I was sitting around at home for large chunks of the weekend, but anyway. On Thursday night, Anne-Marie came over to try her hand at the dyeing of the yarn. We started out with some options: She decided to dye the Knit Picks sock yarn, and I dyed that giant hank of thick/thin wool (from Weaving Works). I'm not going to show you my finished product because it's going to my secret pal, and I don't want her to stumble upon it here and figure out who I am! Anne-Marie decided to go with a red/pink/salmon colorway, and is a nice handpainting-in-progress shot:

See all those cookbooks behind her? Wouldn't that lead you believe I cook a lot? Ha! Ha! Well, I do sometimes, but not enough for all the cookbooks or as much as I would like. Too lazy you know. Dave and I are into pasta. The big tupperware is full of onion skins for when I try my hand at natural dyes. Anyway, you can see the lovely red that Anne-Marie using, which I really liked. She also had some pink in there, and some slightly lighter reds. I took a photo of the finished painted skein, but it didn't turn out well. Here is a photo of the finished skein, taken by Anne-Marie.I suspect it's more red and less orange than this picture might indicate. It turned out really well, and I think she's pretty happy with it. The skein I dyed turned out well also, although I think (don't tell) I like Anne-Marie's better. Mine is much more muted, which is what I was going for, but hers is so bright and fun! I suspect she will be back to dye more...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, it does look kind of orange. It was still damp when I took the picture (hence the paper towel underneath). I think the red and pink and salmon come out more now that it's completely dry...

Anonymous said...

Pretty!