Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Finished Object: Chevron Scarf

It is finished! Not that I've mentioned it much, but I spent a long time making my Chevron Scarf, from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts.

It took me almost five months to knit this, but it was my at-work project, so I only worked on it for about 30-40 minutes at a time, and sometimes deadline knitting got in that way of even that, so it was a long slog. I enjoyed it though, and the results are lovely!

Project Stats: Chevron Scarf

Pattern: Chevron Scarf, from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson.

Yarn: Koigu KPPPM, colorway P529 (how's that for descriptive?!?), purchased at Weaving Works. I used three skeins.

Needles: Size 5 Clover bamboo.

Time on the Needles: 2.16.07-7.12.07. Would've been faster but I only worked on it at lunch, and not even exclusively.

Finished Size: 5" by some ungodly length. Seriously - it's really long and I used one skein less than called for in the pattern.

Modifications: The pattern calls for two colorways of Koigu, each used for two rows and then switched. I decided I didn't want to deal with carrying the extra yarn (and I can never get enough turquoise) so I just used one color. I also only used three skeins instead of the four called for in the pattern. I think four would have made a scarf that was really way too long. I like long and this is borderline too long for me. In the photo I have it around my neck three times and both tails are still past my hips.

Impressions: So pretty! So wearable! So prone to curling! Seriously, I had a hard time blocking this baby flat, as it really wants to puff up where the increases are (the mountains, if you will), and curl under at the edges. I was afraid of this because I've heard of other people having issues with it(Wendy has a great description of hers, with an awesome photo, here), so we'll see how much of a problem it is when I wear the scarf. I considered making it even longer, since I have a fourth skein of yarn, and then sewing it together along the long seams, but I think that would be way too much effort and make the scarf too bulky. I think curling will be okay - it's not meant to to thick and warm so if it rolls and becomes narrow I think I can live with it. This was my first Koigu experience and while the yarn was nice I didn't find it to be anything special. If I make another of these (not unlikely) I think I'll use something softer, like Socks that Rock. But. overall I'm really happy with this and I think I'll get a lot of use out of it!

With that completed, I need a new work project. It has to be something simple where progress can be made in small chunks of time. For the moment I'm taking my Sockapalooza sock with me (almost to the toe of sock #1) but when that's done I'm thinking about starting the Back-to-School Vest from Fitted Knits. I have the yarn and I think a simple circular project would be a good choice. or I could make another scarf. We'll see...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your scarf. I agree with you about Koigu. I love the colors but I would rather knit with Socks that Rock.

As usual your FO look great, I can't wait to see your Back-to-School Vest.

Octopus Knits said...

Very pretty!

Adrienne said...

Very pretty! I'm about to start on this now! I'm a new knitter and have never heard of reverse stockinette until now lol