Monday, July 17, 2006

Sweater dilemma

Houston, I have a problem. Well, many, probably, but only one that is concerning me for the purposes of this post. As some of you may recall, I started making Hike, from Rowan 37, last summer. It was my first sweater project, and only my second garment. I moved along relatively quickly with the back, and did okay with the first front piece (it's a cardigan), and then there was a long pause before the second front, and an even longer one until the first sleeve was started and finished. The impetus for me to finally make that first sleeve was that I had given up casting on new projects for Lent, and I had run out of other things to knit, so it was an act of desperation. So I finished that sleeve, and all that's left is the last piece, which I could probably knit in a couple of days if I put my back into it. Since that is the case, you might be wondering, Emily, why are you not just getting it done? Why are you working on lace? Organzing the stash? Working? Knit the damn sleeve already!!! And to you I say, this is why:

1) I'm afraid it won't fit. I swatched. The pieces appear to be sized to fit my body. But I didn't wash my swatch, so god knows what might happen. I know it's a good thing to do, but washing swatches seems like a waste of perfectly good yarn.
2) I'm scared I won't like it, even if it does fit. And then all the time and energy will have been for naught. The front pockets are looking gigantic. They could be made smaller without ripping anytthing but them, but I'd rather not get into that...
3) I don't want to sew it together. I should've picked something with fewer pieces. What if I mess the whole thing up in the finishing? And then I have to attach the collar. And I think I was planning to make a hood instead, which is really frightening...
4) If I finish it I'll have to start a new sweater. This isn't a bad thing, especially since I already have the yarn for several sweaters, but choosing which one to start next might overwhelm me into total inaction and months of regression into garter stitch scarves...or maybe hats...

Give me strength. Perhaps with your support I can get through this. Maybe I'll start tonight. Maybe...or next week. Month. Year.

Ooh, and during the stash sort, I ripped out Elspeth. I was never going to figure out where I'd gone wrong, and I'm not so into light pink now, so out she went, and I've got four skeins of Calmer to find a use for...

No comments: