Thursday, May 18, 2006

Casualties of War

So, I'm knitting away on those now extremely late almost finished gift socks a couple of days ago, when this happens:


The snapped tip happened first, and the 'split down the middle' incident happened just a couple of rows later, and may have even involved the new needle I had hunted down (thank goodness I had another identical set, or these never would've been finished!). I noticed the split while sliding my stitches to the end of the needle to knit them, and they just weren't coming, and I was confused, and low and beyond, broken needle. And let me tell you, it was not easy knitting the stitches off that needle with it being broken, but I perservered. I'm very frustrated by this. Sure, I had an extra set of these little bastards (for those who want to boycott the snappy things, they're Brittany, size 1), but surely needles shouldn't be falling apart on only their second sock? Yes, you read that correctly - this is the second sock, not even the second pair, with these needles. For $7 I expect them to last longer. It's not like my stitches are crazy tight, or that I'm bending the needles in some bizarre fashion. They should last longer. That is all...

I sent off my Project Colorswap package yesterday, and I hope my pal enjoys it! I've also printed out some nifty labels for my handdyed yarn, so that will be going out soon as well, probably early next week, some to my dye swap partner and some to my Knitters Tea Swap buddy...

Oh, and I'll finish the socks. I promise. I'm cruising down the foot and the recipient is blessed with small feet so they should be done quickly, assuming my needles remain intact for the duration. And then maybe I'll knit something green for my May Project Spectrum project. It's ironic that I haven't knit anything green, since I have a lot of green yarn and it's one of my favorite colors. I guess I was consumed with those damn socks...

No comments: