Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Showing it in stages...

I've decided that the best way to deal with the Fiber Fest haul is in pieces, so as to not overwhelm the readers, and so I can come to terms with it myself. Yesterday you saw the teal haul. Today there will be disclosure of the new Socks that Rock stash. Yes, I went a bit overboard, but as far as I know you can only get this stuff in one shop in Seattle, and I'm not going there, so I had to stock up, right? And I really wanted some solid colored sock yarn. More on that below the photo.

The purple skein on the left is not sock yarn, but Seduction, and will be used for a scarf, and would've been exceedingly expensive for me if it hadn't been on sale. I'm envisioning a lacey scarf. Then there are six skeins of STR, mostly solid colors except for the second one from the left, which apparently jumped into my arms as I was paying because looking at it now I'm not so sure about it. Don't get me wrong (or attempt to take it from me), I like it, but I was really trying for solid colors. Well, and that blue skein, which I loved. Although it's not one color it's close enough and fits what I was going for with this mass purchase. The thing is, I love varigated/stripey/splochy yarns. They call to me from the internet, they call to me from the LYS, they call to me from the dye pot in the kitchen (you get the idea), but then I really don't know what to do with them. Most of them are sock yarns, and I love funky bright socks, so you wouldn't think this would be a problem. However, all the sock patterns I'm drawn to are either lacy or complicated, and I don't want my yarn to be competing with my pattern, so I'm left with all this beautiful yarn and beautiful patterns that don't complement each other at all (in my mind). Hence all the solid colored STR.

It's just occured to me that this, plus yesterday's teal fiber and mohair, was actually all I bought last weekend, which is pretty good. Well, and some short DPNs, but they don't really need to be photographed - we all know what DPNs look like (I hope).

The astute may notice there isn't any evidence of knitting on the blog lately, just yarn. This is because there hasn't really BEEN much knitting. I'm working on two pairs of socks, so I suppose they could have a photo shoot, but I'm not happy with one of them and the other is just ribbing at this point. Come to that, they're both ribbing, but at least one is fancy (badly pooling) colors. I'll try to get on that and post something about them tomorrow, since this is meant to be a knitting blog, and not just a "wow, Emily has a lot of pretty yarn but doesn't use it" blog...

No comments: