Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Dye-o-Meme-a-Rama

Stumbled upon this questionnaire for the Dye-O-Rama yarn swap, and decided to fill it out. I'm thinking this might be getting repetitive, seeing as I just filled out one of these for SP8 a couple of days ago! So, if you're bored, forgive me :) Here we go:

Specific to this swap:
Your favorite colors? Blue, teal, turquoise, purple, green
Preferred yarn weight (Fingering, Sport, DK, maybe even Worsted)? For socks, fingering, since it's much easier to find patterns
Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn? For hand-dyed, multicolored. It's so much fun to work with, although it can be difficult to find a pattern that doesn't compete with the yarn...
If your buddy is able to do so, would you like a variegated, self-striping, or self-patterning yarn? Variegated or self-striping.
Would you be interested in a wool blend sock yarn (nylon, tencel, silk, acrylic, alpaca, etc.)? Sure, as long as it will knit up into a sturdy sock. I'd prefer superwash if possible (I'm not on top of it enough to remember which socks shouldn't go in the wash)
Imagine the perfect colorway. What would you name it? No idea. I'm never good at naming the yarn I dye...
What was the biggest appeal to you for joining this dye-along? The excuse to dye some yarn for someone else, as well as meet new people (and of course, get some cool yarn in return)

General yarn/fiber questions:
Have you dyed yarn/fiber before?
Yes, but it's a recent phenomenon.
If so, what’s your favorite dye and method? So far I've tried Kool-aid (not intense enough, and smells like Kool-aid) and handpainting with Jacquard acid dyes, which is definitely a better method for me.
Do you spin? Kind of. I mean to spin. But I'm not that into it. Yet.
Have you knit socks before? Yes
Do you use sock yarn for just socks or in other patterns too? Just for socks. But I could see making armwarmers or a lace scarf with it.
What are some of your favorite yarns? I love Manos. Show me Manos and I am a happy camper. Any color. Any variegation. I also like Socks that Rock, and almost anything soft and tweedy. I have a soft spot for tweed. Especially if it's made by Rowan. I covet Rowan yarns. Blue Sky Alpaca alpaca and organic cotton are pretty sweet as well...
What yarn do you totally covet? Right, see above (I should've read ahead). I'd also like to try something with Colinette yarns, but they're so expensive.
Favorite patterns? Where to begin...I love cables in all forms. On hats, on sweaters, on scarves, etc. There are a bunch of cabled sweaters on my to-do list. I just finished a Lady Eleanor in March and I loved that pattern, and definitely want to make it again someday.
Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object? I would love to knit an aran afghan, made up of many squares of different aran patterns. In something luxurious and impractical, like an alpaca/silk blend...
Favorite kind of needles (brand, materials, straights or circs, etc)? I prefer bamboo straight needles, because I like to prop them on my stomach when I knit (yes, this is ridiculous). I do the same thing with DPNs, which can result in many small puncture wounds on my abdomen if I'm not careful...I will use circular needles when necessary and love them for knitting in the round (except for small things, when it's DPNs or bust). Still use bamboo for circulars, although I have some metal ones and I will admit they might be faster...
If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be? Although this is boring, I think I would be something like Cascade 220 or Lamb's Pride. Sturdy and durable, yet coming in many pretty colors and adaptable to many situations.

Nothing to do with knitting/yarn/fiber in any way but seemed kinda fun:
Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack?
Lemonheads. And milk chocolate (although I'd advise against eating these together). I prefer my chocolate unaltered by additions such as mint/nuts/caramel/etc.
What’s your favorite animal? Penguins. I was SO overjoyed with March of the Penguins...
Do you have pets? What are their species/names/ages? I have an orange tabby named Oliver, who is about to celebrate his 1st birthday. Does having a boyfriend count as a pet? I have one of those too...
If you were a color what color would you be? Green
Describe your favorite shirt (yours or someone else’s) Seriously? This IS random. Hummm. I love a good rumpled white oxford shirt, sleeves rolled up, and partially unbuttoned (mind out of the gutter, nothing racy intended), with a t-shirt underneath. Not so much on myself, but any attractive man in this ensemble will catch my attention every time.
What is your most inspiring image, flower, or object in nature? I love mountains. Preferably snow-covered. I'm also keen on seastacks, the big rocks out in the ocean that we have so many of in the Pacific Northwest.
Do you have a wishlist? Yes, on amazon. You can search for me if you'd like...
Anything else you’d like to share with the group today? This is going to be so fun! I'm planning on dyeing my pal's yarn this weekend, so it should be arriving fairly soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice shirt!
And to think... we can't get you to read the black jewel books... filled with those shirts they are!

Emily said...

Are they illustrated? Then maybe we can talk... :)