Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Reckoning, and a Lenten Vow

I'm not a particularly religious person, but as a Catholic I'm accustomed to giving something up for Lent. Last year I didn't bother because I couldn't think of anything good. The year before it was cookies and chips of any nature, which was really difficult even though I'm not a big snacker. Today at lunch Pam told me that in the spirit of Lent she's going to give up all desserts. That's right - chocolate, candy, hot cocoa, donuts, anything that could be considered dessert. That's insane. I had to convince her that gum and mints would probably be acceptable, although she was leaning that way for her coworkers sake. Anyway, she suggested that I give up starting new projects for Lent. This is a good idea, so I'm going for it. I'm adding in a clause stating I will also not buy any yarn, unless it is absolutely necessary for a project that is already on the needles (like for possible Lady Eleanor fringe). This clause will be good for the lack of stash storage space as well as the credit card balance. And the whole operation should help me actually finish some big projects that have been on the needles for months/years/millennia. Can I do it though? 40 days without casting on anything new? We'll see. I added another clause stating that I could knit small things for other people that had been planned already, including a hat for my boyfriend that I've been meaning to start for months (and started tonight, shhh).

Last week, when I was on the 'finished socks' high, Rachel suggested rewarding me for finishing projects. She might have been kidding, but I'm going to take her at her word and I'm rushing on Lady Eleanor to see what she comes up with...

In the interest of full disclosure, tomorrow I'm posting the list of WIPs, as well as some planned projects, in the order I hope to complete them. It's a scary long list...my hands are sore just thinking about it...

No comments: